Welcome to the
Commonwealth Lawn Bowling Club
Try something new this summer — everyone can come and have fun with Lawn Bowling, even on their first try! It’s an outdoor game of skill and strategy played on closely-cut grass.
Group Rentals include two hours of bowling with instructional help.
Using Maps to the Commonwealth LBC
If you are using an Internet maps tool to find directions to Commonwealth, be sure to use Google Maps. There is a problem with the address data for the club in MapQuest that is wrong. Here is a Google Maps link to our club. Note that the clubhouse’s actual location is slightly southwest of the given address of 11420 139 Street NW, which is more correct for the parking lot. (There is also a map on the Hours & Location page.)
See How Lawn Bowls are Made!
How It’s Made — Lawn Bowls (See how lawn bowls are manufactured! YouTube video by Science Channel)
Some Big Myths about Lawn Bowling!
- It’s just a game played by senior citizens.
- People of ALL ages all over the world enjoy lawn bowling — you can start at any stage in life! It’s a fun game for kids and we are anxious to build an exciting Juniors program! (And the secret is, it’s a great way for seniors to stay young!)
- It’s hard to understand and play.
- It doesn’t take long at all to learn, and there are very knowledgeable club members who are more than happy to teach and coach new players in the sport!
- You have to be all dressed in white.
- Just like Wimbledon, clothing etiquette used to be quite strict, but for regular play it’s very relaxed. The most important clothing item is a pair of smooth-soled shoes to protect the grass greens.